Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Dreaming of Italy: Prosciutto e Melone (Prosciutto and Melon)

I want to go to Italy. I want to drink Italian wine. I want to eat fresh spaghetti with tomato and basil. I want to sit at a road side café and sip espresso that's as thick as melted chocolate. I want to visit Firenze and stand in awe of the art and architecture of the Renaissance. I want to go to Napoli, and eat authentic Napolitano pizza. I want to stand on a terrace and look out over Rome in all its past and present glory. In short, I want to be Elizabeth Gilbert in Eat Pray Love and do nothing but eat great food and experience "the sweetness of doing nothing”.

So, until this trip to Italy happens, for now, this will do. My homemade version of a classic Italian savory treat, Prosciutto e Melone. Cantaloupe wrapped in Prosciutto. I added just a touch of basil and balsamic vinegar. We enjoyed this treat tonight, and it was so filling, it was basically dinner!

I can practically hear the sounds of the street by the café. After all, in my head I’m in Italy anyway.

Prosciutto e Melone (Prosciutto and Melon)



Really simple to put together, and this can be made ahead of time. All you need is some Cantaloupe, sliced or balled, thinly sliced Prosciutto, a bit of balsamic vinegar, and some basil (optional). Assemble Prosciutto and Melon as shown, drizzle on some balsamic vinegar, and serve. Enjoy!

No comments: