Tuesday, November 23, 2010

My First Grey Hair

Picture this. I wake up last Saturday to a beautiful sunrise outside the bedroom window, Ryan is next to me, the dogs are whining to be let outside, everything is normal. I wash my face wash in cold water, brush my teeth, and race off to the gym. I take my jacket off, and adjust my headband in the locker room. And there she was...

In the dull, unflattering, fluorescent light, perched atop my head, sticking out from under my headband, and staring back at me in the mirror. My first grey hair. Twice as thick as the rest of my hair, and twice as straight as the rest of my hair. I knew it would happen someday. But, at the tender age of twenty-six???

I had two choices. Fight or flight. Panic was slowly starting to set in. But after my workout (great timing to relieve some stress), and a mild meltdown at home in front of Ryan, I decided to embrace it. Grey hair. Big deal. I knew a girl in school who had at least ten or fifteen grey hairs and she was only sixteen years old. I could be facing much worse things, I suppose. And, plenty of people have reminded me that it has nothing to do with age.

So, here's Marie.


Yes, I named it. It is part of the embracing strategy. And anyone who has ever watched Everybody Loves Raymond will  know why I picked that name. Well, Marie and I are off to begin our day now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I did not embrace my whities and probably never will. You are brave, Niha!

Unknown said...

That sure is funny. Marie shows great "character". At the tender age of 54, I have Marie, Rita, Nita, Tina, Veena n several others to contend with !! Your mom could tell you more!!!! All the best.

niha said...

Haha! I'm sure I won't be naming any more...I've heard that once the first one comes in the rest are not far behind.

MidLifeMommy said...

You are too funny! With the recent move I've found several "Marie's"...which will quickly be dimished come this Friday afternoon! (Love highlights...hides those grays!)

niha said...

Steph, I ran into my hairdresser this week and I told her about Marie, and she goes "as your hairdresser I will not stand for that kind of talk!" Lol!