Monday, August 22, 2011

Blueberries and Cornbread. Who knew?

I needed to come up with some sort of salad to contribute to a Barbeque with friends last week. As it so happened, I had plenty of fresh blueberries on hand so a blueberry salad wasn't far from my thoughts.  Actually, I was thinking more of a blueberry and cornbread type of dish. I've had perfectly good blueberry cornbread muffins before, so...why the heck not?!?  So, I experimented with it, a whole thirty to forty-five minutes before our dinner (which, of course, left plenty of room to run and grab a bag of chips should this epic experimental dish have completely failed.)

But, I put it together and found it to be scrumptious.  It is much less of a salad, and in fact, practically dessert.  Don't cringe at the list of ingredients. Trust me, it truly is a delicious combination of things. The group agreed...as there was hardly any evidence to bring home. So, here you go!


Blueberry Cornbread Salad




You will need:

One 8x8" pan's worth of cornbread, cubed (crumbled is fine too)
1 pint of blueberries
2/3 cup whole roasted cashews (or hazelnuts, if you prefer)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix all together - yes, trust me. Serve immediately. Enjoy!

No comments: