Monday, September 24, 2012

Ridiculously Easy Homemade Granola

I have never made granola at home before. Not having anything available for a quick grab-n-go breakfast tomorrow, I found a basic homemade granola recipe and decided to give it a whirl. And now that I've tried it, I think granola immediately needs to go on the list of things NEVER to buy at the store ever again. It's not that you typically think of granola as "pricey", the fact is it takes less than five minutes of prep time at home, AND, it's cheaper so....why the heck not? All you need are some rolled oats, and whatever else you want to eat in your granola.


This is ridiculously easy homemade granola. And, when I say it took me less than five minutes to put together it's the truth - this includes the time it took to gather the ingredients and wash the mixing bowl. (And it makes your house smell like cookies.) You have to try it.

Makes about 6 cups

Step 1. Add to a mixing bowl:
5 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup honey and 1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
...and any combination of 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes, 1/4 dried fruit, 1/4 cup pecans (or walnuts or anything else your tummy desires). I kept my version to whatever I had available, i.e. coconut flakes and pecans.


Step 2. Mix well.


Step 3.  Spread onto cookie sheets and bake at 300 F for 5 minutes, stir, then bake an additional 7 minutes. Cool completely and store in airtight containers. 


Ridiculously easy, right? Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Who knew it was so easy!! And to think I wasted all that time lamenting the shortage of good granola in Chennai! I will be trying this one out for sure Niha..

niha said...

Sarah, I'm glad to hear that! Have fun experimenting with the ingredients and I hope it turns out well for you.