Sunday, June 22, 2008

postponing things like dishes and laundry

The thing is, sometimes I get so busy that the laundry doesn't get done for two weeks. I just got this distinct memory of my sophomore year of college, talking on the phone to my aunt Minu who kept asking me "you don't do laundry for three weeks?!? are you telling me that you have twenty-one pairs of underwear?" Yikes. And I thought I had grown since college. The laundry is one thing. Dishes are another. In the effort to not only be green-conscious, but also be frugal, we got into this habit of using only tupperware containers and not using any ziploc bags to take lunch to work, etc. The downside is...nobody has time to do dishes during the week, and it's kind of become a routine to just do all the dishes at once on Saturday or Sunday. (Let's face it, that's more efficient anyway). But...during the week, the dishes from our sink spill over onto the kitchen counter and the whole thing becomes this eyesore of fifteen to twenty used tupperware containers sitting there, all needing to be washed. Yuck. I can't believe it myself sometimes. But the dishes are getting done today! As will the laundry. I can do it, I know I can.
So anyway, yesterday, we went into Madison to run some errands and stock up on some pantry necessities like a ten-lb bag of Basmati rice, tamarind paste, and fresh mangoes from the Asian store. Our first stop was REI, to get a new bicycle seat for Ryan and possibly investigate a pair of nylon hiking pants for me. We love REI. The smell of brand new bikes, and the tempting display of brightly colored kayaks in the windows are enough to get anyone's adrenaline pumping. But bearing in mind that everything in that store is outrageously overpriced, and being responsible, we came away with nothing. So, we ventured the half-mile east to Dick's Sporting Goods instead. We didn't find a bicycle seat, since the selection was miserable. But we both got nylon hiking pants, and I even scored a pair of black Reebok running shorts on clearance. No sticker shock here. Beautiful!

No comments: