Monday, May 26, 2008

encouragement to my younger self

Lately, I seem to want to go back in time with all the lessons I have learned and tell my younger self that some of the mistakes I made were okay, and some of the mistakes I made were not okay, and why. Perhaps it is because I’m getting older. And perhaps it is because I see people around me repeating some of the mistakes that I made and have since learned from.

It is okay to see beauty and hope in things. It is not okay to suck all the energy out of the room with your negativity.
It is okay to learn, and absorb. It is not okay to spend time learning things that have no value.
It is okay to want people to understand you. It is not okay to refuse to learn how to communicate better so that they will.
It is okay to teach, and guide. It is not okay to bring people down, as if they are unworthy bugs to be crushed.
It is okay to correct someone else’s mistake. It is not okay to ignore it.
It is okay to want to be a world away when people are being shallow and selfish. It is not okay to let them propagate their philosophy as if it should belong to everyone.
It is okay to desire comforts. It is not okay to believe we deserve them.
It is okay to think highly of yourself. It is not okay (and very stupid) to assume that others think the same of you.
It is okay to have a few short-lived pleasures. It is not okay to put stock in them and expect them to have a longer shelf-life.
It is okay to want boys to be attracted to you. It is not okay to base your self-worth on whether or not they are.
It is okay to want to see the world. It is not okay to make that an excuse not to put down roots and trust someone.

No comments: