Friday, July 25, 2008

what's the point if it's raining on a Friday night?

Seriously. I was looking forward to Friday all week. Anticipating a nice bike ride. Expecting a balmy 75 degree evening. Tough noogies, I guess. Or whatever they call it.
But the evening wasn't a total loss. Ryan and I had the best homemade pizza for dinner. I ran out into the garden and grabbed a handful of tomatoes, basil, and a couple of green bell peppers. And that's exactly what went on the pizza, topped with some Provolone cheese which Ryan grated. I stopped by the cheese shop on Hwy 23 last night, and asked the guy if they had Fontina. The guy behind counter blinked a few times and said "no", and that they had never carried it, and had no plans to carry it in the future. OK. I was only looking for Fontina cheese because I had tried homemade pizza with mozzarella before and it just didn't cut it. Fontina was much better. Anyway, the guy said that the closest thing they had was Provolone. So I thought I would give it a try. And it was really yummy! The whole pizza was so good. You can really tell when the ingredients are fresh, I think that's totally what makes or breaks a meal. Plus, it felt so good to know that a pizza was made with things from mygarden!!!
Anyway, tomorrow should be fun. We're spending the day at the beach, and the Flessners are joining us. Which means we also get to spend some time with their adorable girls. I'm excited! I spent another part of this evening making pesto with the basil leftover from pizza ingredients. And I also put aside some chicken in a peppercorn marinade, which I plan on grilling early tomorrow morning so it will have some time to get cold in the fridge. And sliced some fresh French bread. All for tomorrow's picnic. I'm super excited!

No comments: