Thursday, September 17, 2009

Fall, time for apple pie

It was forty-six degrees outside this morning. The first brisk morning that makes the hair on your arms stand straight up. Our apple tree is completely weighed down with hundreds of tiny green apples, blushing pink. I am in pie-making mode and will be churning out several of these over the next few weeks. I'm not a baker, but if there's one thing I can bake really well it is apple pie. With real butter, and real ingredients, not half-fat low-sugar this and that. Traditional. From scratch. Encased in a delicious homemade buttery crust, and topped with a beautiful lattice finish.

I also made an apple custard two weeks ago, which turned out really well, then I made one more last week. I refuse to make them for myself/ourselves anymore...did I mention, I'm trying to shed 5 lbs?

Anyway, I went to the store this evening and got a huge stack of foil pie plates. And I made a list of all my favorite people that will get apple pies from us, and it is shockingly long.

Then, of course, there are some people with various food preferences, and don't like cooked fruit, or this and that. "Not a big nutmeg fan." "I hate butter." Gasp!? Julia Child would be ashamed. Anyway, I’m not sure who all really want pies. Are there any takers??

4 comments:

Susan said...

I am the only one following the rules and commenting on YOUR BLOG that I will take a pie :) You may in turn have all the tomatoes and raspberries you want from my garden :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Niha,

I'll take one of your pies to share with my family if it works for you!

Timm

Unknown said...

dear Niha, all of your family in central Illinois will take one....each! :) love to you and Ryan, Aunt B....

niha said...

Timm / Susan, Cool! I don't have the freezer space, so this works out really well. I'll bring these to church this Sunday.
Aunt Bari - you guys are welcome to take back as many as you want when you come visit. Can't wait!