Friday, December 17, 2010

Chicken Curry Soup

My friend Sarah recently told me about a treasured Christmas tradition in her family, her mother's delicious Chicken Curry Soup. My ears perked up at the mention of the word "curry", and my curiosity spiked because I know this family does not have any Indian heritage or eat much Indian food. I immediately knew I had to have the recipe. Her mom was kind enough to send me the recipe, and graciously granted me permission to share it. I tried it Tuesday night for dinner, only a few hours after receiving the recipe (I could not contain my excitement any longer!) and...it is one of the most delicious, and unusual things I have ever had! It is so easy to make, and the flavor combination is so unusual and good that I will definitely be making this again. It is NOT that spicy-hot, so those of you who are afraid of Indian food - no excuses with this one! Here it is:

Chicken Curry Soup


You will need:
1 diced onion
3 sliced carrots (cut like pennies)
2 apples diced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 tsp curry powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup flour
1 quart chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
shredded cooked chicken - as much as you want

Saute onions, carrots, and apples in the butter. Add salt, pepper, nutmeg, and curry powder and cook at least five minutes. Add chicken stock, tomatoes, and shredded chicken. Simmer an hour. The longer it cooks, the thicker and more "stew" like it gets. It is fantastic the next day. Enjoy!

Notes:
1) I didn't have chicken, so I used leftover thanksgiving turkey, and homemade turkey stock instead of chicken stock. It worked really well!
2) And I don't use curry powder, so I just made up a blend of chilli powder, pinch of turmeric, cumin powder, and coriander powder, and pinch of garam masala.
3) I also added just a little bit of garlic.

No comments: