Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mocha Almond Fudge Biscotti

The best accompaniment my coffee has had all year.

As you have seen from my previous post, I have made a conscious effort to create somewhat unusual Christmas treats this year. Which is remarkable, for someone as unorganized as myself, because I didn't start all of this until five days before Christmas.

Several things formed the inspiration behind this Mocha Almond Fudge Biscotti. First, I have always had a fondness for the chocolate-almond combination (see my Rocky Road post from November). Another sentiment that contributed to this concoction is that my husband also likes some version of these flavors, most likely stemming from his favorite Baskin Robbins ice cream flavor, 'Jamocha Almond Fudge'! (We do like ice cream, don't we?)

This chocolaty biscotti is so easy to make, with store-bought fudge brownie mix, and one batch yields a LOT. They make nice Christmas-gifts, too, and are an unexpected step away from popular Christmas cookies! Simply wrap up a few of these with plastic wrap, tie with a festive ribbon and scoot over to your neighbor's with it. Extras will store in an airtight container on your kitchen counter for several weeks. Or, in the freezer for several months. Here is the recipe:

Mocha Almond Fudge Biscotti


You will need:
1 package fudge brownie mix
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup finely chopped almonds
1 egg
3 egg whites
1 teaspoon instant espresso powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine brownie mix, flour, and baking powder in a large bowl. Separately, whisk egg, egg whites, and instant espresso powder. Add egg mixture to brownie mix, and stir until combined. Divide batter into four portions, on greased baking sheets, shape each portion into a rectangle (two fit nicely side by side on my 9x13 baking sheets). Bake in center oven rack at 350 for 22 to 24 minutes. Remove from oven and let sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Remove to a cutting board, and cut diagonally with a serrated knife into 1/2 - 3/4 inch slices. Bake again, cut side down, on greased baking sheets for another 12 minutes. Cool completely, and store in airtight containers. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Adrienne said...

Thanks for sharing, Niha! I made my first batch of biscotti this season, but I prefer the look of yours. I will definitely try your recipe.

niha said...

Glad you liked it Adrienne! This recipe is easy, and the brownie-mix makes it quick.