Friday, January 28, 2011

Coconut Ice Cream

This is the easiest homemade ice cream I have ever made. And it is exotic! Do try it.

I have so many fond "ice cream" memories from my childhood (see some of my earlier posts: kulfi, rocky road), and among my most treasured are those involving "natural" ice cream. There was an ice cream shop in Bangalore that had only "natural" ice cream, with fresh fruit flavors like guava, watermelon, apple, and coconut. We visited this shop at least once whenever I was there during my school holidays. The ice cream was fresh and tasty, it never failed to please!

I was taken down this ice cream memory lane when I stumbled onto a recipe for Coconut Ice Cream in one of my Asian cookbooks. I tried it, varied it a little, and am now enjoying it! It is creamy yet light, tastes fresh, and so delicious. Here is the recipe:

Homemade Coconut Ice Cream

You will need:
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 14oz can "lite" coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Chill both cans in the refrigerator overnight, or at least 4 hours (until well chilled). Whisk contents of both cans together in a large bowl, adding in salt. Whisk at least 2 to 3 minutes by hand, until well combined. Pour into shallow containers with tight fitting lids and freeze covered about one hour, just until ice crystals have started forming around the edges. Remove from freezer, empty into a large bowl and whisk again. Pour back into shallow pans and freeze for another hour. Repeat this whisking process at least once more. This is what creates that oh-so-light ice-cream texture. When you've whisked twice, freeze in covered containers overnight, or at least six hours. Serve with toasted coconut chips, or flakes. Enjoy!

No comments: