Thursday, August 19, 2010

The brave little gerbera daisy

I got a potted plant this week. So, yes, I am experimenting with yet another house plant. This is a sad paradox, since I am still blocking out memories of the house plant disaster of 2006. (I had purchased an orchid plant at an auction in my workplace, and it did not bloom like the guy swore it would. In fact, it died a quick and quite an unnatural death. Despite my efforts to revive it, even with sound advice from horticultural experts on the internet, I succumbed to the idea that I should probably never have a house plant, ever again.)

But here’s the thing. This new plant is a gorgeous gerbera daisy – that my husband brought to me at work, for no occasion whatsoever, but to simply make me feel appreciated and loved, so HA! – and it came with detailed instructions on how to care for it. And, it has survived three whole days! I even watered it twice. It has two flowers, one already in bloom. The other one was just a bud a couple of days ago and looks like it is slowly blooming. Time will tell.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hello niha! here is my two cents on plant care, most plants need to be watered only once a week and water from the bottom. I put a dash of miracle grow in the water each week. putting the plant in the right lighting is also important. as far as your gerbera daisy and orchid, both are difficult to raise. try something a bit easier like an african violet or philadendron. I have a hoya plant start for you from my great grandmother if you are ready for the challenge ;)

niha said...

Thanks for the tips Aunt Bari! Alas...does that mean this little daisy doesn't stand a chance?? The card said "water frequently". I guess by "frequently" they mean once a week. Yeesh. It's like a whole other world, I tell ya.