Friday, September 10, 2010

Kitten in the back yard

I woke up this morning to our two dogs whining, barking, and going absolutely nuts! Very out of character for them. In the background I could hear doors opening and closing, and Ryan walking around downstairs at a fairly quick pace. I knew something was up. I was just thinking about getting out of bed when I saw Ryan come up the stairs...and I had started to say "What's all the commotion?" when I saw the tiniest kitten I have ever seen cradled in his arms. I was only about ten seconds away from saying "Can we keep it?", but even I know the dangers of a kitten that little being in a house this small, with two dogs already occupying it. And we didn't even know if it belonged to anyone in the neighborhood. Ryan had just found it sitting next to the maple tree in our backyard this morning. So, we talked to some of our neighbors and it doesn't belong to anyone around here. One woman thought it looked too small even to be weaned yet. I wonder where the rest of its litter and mother are! Oh well.  So, the kitten is currently at the Vet's, they are holding it until this afternoon, and then I will go collect it and make a sad little trip to the humane society. I did get a few pictures to preserve the memories since, unfortunately, we can't hold onto this little one.

P.S.: For those of you who have never experienced waking up to the sight of a tiny little kitten, it is really something special!

3 comments:

MomLady said...

I think your dogs would get along fine with that kitten! :) So cute . . .looks like you were meant to have her!

niha said...

Oh, the temptation is powerful. Great news though - a friend is going to take her! Very happy not to have to take her to the shelter.

Benjamin said...

Uh, I hope that friend isn't us. :-) I had better talk to my wife soon... :-D