Wednesday, September 8, 2010

When life gives you cucumbers...

...go Vegetarian for an evening! I was inspired to create this dish using the cucumbers that were an unexpected gift from a friend (that's you Susan!) who wanted to share some of her abundant fresh produce with the rest of us.


So, welcome to a day in the life of someone who likes veggie-only food every now and then. In fact, if you have seen earlier posts of mine (like this one and this one), you may already know that I don't shy away from skipping meat. In fact, I rather enjoy it. And, fortunately for me, my husband  feels the same way! So, I'll call it Ribbon Salad on Pasta. Get your vegetable peeler and do thin ribbons of cucumbers, carrots (microwave the carrot ribbons for one minute with some water to soften a bit) and toss it together with olive oil, salt and pepper for a quick salad. Or for a more filling meal pile it on top of long pasta, like I did, with a bit of pasta sauce, fresh cracked black pepper, and shredded parmesan. I also made some pesto to go with it, using the last of the basil from the garden. It was all very good. I hope you try it yourself, and enjoy it!

1 comment:

Susan said...

I should have been making this all summer with my cucumbers :)