Saturday, February 19, 2011

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Brown Butter

So far so good on the "decluttering" New Year's resolution. We had a nice quiet Saturday night dinner at home and, in keeping with our resolution, enjoyed an utterly uncomplicated Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Brown Butter, accompanied by sides of peas and corn, and egg noodles. I am starting to really enjoy these simple meat dishes. (Remember the Salt and Pepper Roast Chicken post?)
Yes, there is a way to make very simple bacon wrapped chicken breasts, sans stuffing and other fuss. But, okay, maybe there's a little basting involved...

Bacon Wrapped Chicken Breasts with Brown Butter


Serves 4
You will need:
2 chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally, and pounded thin
4 slices bacon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
8 toothpicks

For Brown Butter:
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic

Nicely pepper both sides of chicken breasts and roll up on short side. Wrap each piece of chicken with a strip of bacon, and secure with toothpicks on either end. Lay these in a large skillet heated up to medium-low, and cook covered for 10 minutes, turning over halfway through. Uncover the skillet, and add the butter, rosemary, and garlic. As the butter melts, it will combine with the juices in the skillet, and will come together with the rosemary and garlic to make a beautiful basting liquid, brown butter. Baste this all over the chicken periodically, and cook for an additional 7 or 8 minutes on each side - you want to be absolutely certain that the chicken cooks all the way through. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try this the next time I cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my Baby George (Which one of his six boys is this appliance named after I wonder?)rotisserie. I've used bacon on beer can chicken to keep it moist, and I'll bet it will also work in the rotisserie. Thanks for the idea! Begonia

niha said...

You know - I've never tried beer can chicken before. I was always intrigued by the idea, but I wasn't sure about actually putting a beer can in the oven. I will want your recipe to try it sometime!

Begonia, My Little Farm in Town said...

Niha: Here is the beer can recipe. http://www.kraftrecipes.com/community/recipe-exchange/UserRecipeDisplay.aspx?group_id=1&user_recipe_id=445337

I've made this recipe on our medium-sized kettle grill over charcoal brickettes. It is called Granny B's Beer Can Chicken. Just the smell of this cooking on the grill attracts men and kids from all over the neighborhood.

The recipe, however, actually calls for baking the bird in the oven. Be careful when you move the chicken from the counter to the oven! I had a little adventure with bacon slick chicken shooting out of the pan and into the coals at one point when I was transferring it to the grill--think greased pig and you get the picture!

I picked up a beer can chicken stand new at a garage sale. I'll keep an eye out for another one for you if you find you like this method of cooking chicken. The stand makes the whole procedure much more stable. ;-)

See you, Begonia, MyLittleFarminTown

niha said...

I will be trying this, thanks!