Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Chilli Fried Fish

Fish cooked to crispy perfection on a bed of caramelized onions. I can guarantee that unless you've been to restaurants or someone's house in Southern India, you have never had fish that is anything like this. You must try this.

This fried fish reminds me of home like nothing else does, and brings food memories flooding back that are among my fondest. My mother would tell you that I have been eating this kind of fried fish ever since I was in diapers.

My recipe below is only a humble approximation of the fried fish (meen varuthathu, especially karimeen varuthathu) that is so popular from Kerala cuisine. The big problem...is the type of fish that is available here. My mother made this with Salmon while she was visiting me last year, and it was really good. I have since made it again and again with various other fish, and have grown accustomed to using tilapia due to it's abundance at my local grocery stores. It stands up to the high heat decently, absorbs the spices well, turns crispy, and is entirely delicious.
 
Chilli Fried Fish


You will need:
1 lb tilapia filets cut into 3" chunks
2 heaped teaspoons red chilli powder
1 heaped teaspoon ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 medium red onion, sliced
3 tablespoons veg oil

Mix red chilli powder, pepper and salt together and rub it all over the fish, both sides. Let marinate at room temperature for about 20 minutes. Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat, then lay a single layer of sliced onions in the pan to make a "bed". Lay the fish on top of the bed of onions, then cover the skillet and cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes. Do not stir. Turn the fish over, and cook covered for another 4 minutes. Do not stir. Then, remove the lid and crank the heat up to high, and cook an additional 3 minutes on each side, until fish is nicely browned. Serve hot, with some of the browned onions from the pan. Enjoy!

No comments: