Friday, October 22, 2010

Notes on Halloween

Halloween is coming up, but it is not a very big deal at all in our house. In fact, we don't enjoy most aspects of the holiday. We don't dress up. But we do give candy to those adorable trick-or-treaters who knock on our door. We don't go to Halloween parties. But we do make fun and spooky foods! We hosted our bi-weekly supper club small group tonight, the theme was "Halloween", and it was the perfect opportunity for me to experiment with some new recipes for Halloween, so I made these for the occasion.

Creepy Crawly Bug Bites

This one's a "me" original! Smoked sausages wrapped up and baked in breadstick dough (crescent roll dough would work too). Just make sure not to cover up one end of the smoked sausage. I used pretzels for the legs. Use mustard, barbeque sauce, or ketchup for the eyes and body.

These little bugs can easily turn into spiders, by adding an extra leg on each side! I will honestly say that these are not high on the taste scale...they're mostly just cute to look at!

Ghostly Pears

I saw this idea on a food site about a month ago and have been waiting to make them ever since. The idea of covering pears in chocolate was so intriguing. I have seen many other fruits dipped in chocolate but never pears so I was curious about the taste. Not bad...even though these aren't very neatly done. (I know preschoolers who could do a better job coating these in chocolate.) But, anyway, the taste was there! I used Bosc pears and semi-sweet chocolate for he coating. The juicy sweetness of the pears went really well with the semi-sweet chocolate. I attempted a few pears dipped in white chocolate and those tasted good but I had issues
getting the white chocolate to coat well.

My friend Eileen brought "bloody stumps" which were really fun to look at as well as eat. I will be bugging her for the recipe! Isn't Halloween food so much fun! Is it wrong to enjoy the food even if you don't really enjoy the rest of the stuff about the holiday?

No comments: