Sunday, October 24, 2010

Tomato Soup? Three Alarm? You betcha.

There is usually nothing spicy about tomato soup, until one finds the inclination to say "I want grilled cheese," and "I want tomato soup," and "I want something spicy" all in the same breath. That is exactly what we said this afternoon while deciding what to eat for lunch. That's phase 1. Phase 2 comes when you summon up the determination to do something about it. But there was one tiny glitch...we didn't have any tomato soup in the house. I decided that I would just quickly whip some up. Except that I didn't actually know how to make tomato soup! No problem though. I experimented a couple of different ways, and I believe I have actually come up with a kudos-worthy recipe for spicy tomato soup. I am calling it Three Alarm Tomato Soup. As odd as that sounds, it's worth a try! We found it to be delicious. And it is quite spicy. It is especially good with grilled cheese sandwiches. Let me know what you think.

Three Alarm Tomato Soup
Serves two


You'll need:
2/3 cup good pasta sauce
1 can Rotel (yes, with the green chilies in it)
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp dried oregano

Put everything into a saucepan over medium heat, and stir well to combine. Once it's bubbling at the edges, cover and lower heat to simmer and let simmer for 15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments: